University of Cape Town Student Admissions Data 2006-2014
Administrative Records [ad]
This dataset was generated from a set of Excel spreadsheets from an Information and Communication Technology Services (ICTS) administrative database on student applications to the University of Cape Town (UCT). This database contains information on applications to UCT between the January 2006 and December 2014. In the original form received by DataFirst the data were ill suited to research purposes. This dataset represents an attempt at cleaning and organizing these data into a more tractable format. To ensure data confidentiality direct identifiers have been removed from the data and the data is only made available to accredited researchers through DataFirst's Secure Data Service.
The dataset was separated into the following data files:
1. Application level information: the "finest" unit of analysis. Individuals may have multiple applications. Uniquely identified by an application ID variable. There are a total of 1,714,669 applications on record.
2. Individual level information: individuals may have multiple applications. Each individual is uniquely identified by an individual ID variable. Each individual is associated with information on "key subjects" from a separate data file also contained in the database. These key subjects are all separate variables in the individual level data file. There are a total of 285,005 individuals on record.
3. Secondary Education Information: individuals can also be associated with row entries for each subject. This data file does not have a unique identifier. Instead, each row entry represents a specific secondary school subject for a specific individual. These subjects are quite specific and the data allows the user to distinguish between, for example, higher grade accounting and standard grade accounting. It also allows the user to identify the educational authority issuing the qualification e.g. Cambridge Internal Examinations (CIE) versus National Senior Certificate (NSC).
4. Tertiary Education Information: the smallest of the four data files. There are multiple entries for each individual in this dataset. Each row entry contains information on the year, institution and transcript information and can be associated with individuals.
Kind of Data
Administrative records [adm]
Unit of Analysis
v1.1: Edited data, first version, for data enclave use only
The first version of the dataset was put together using a set of data files made available to DataFirst by the University of Cape Town administration. These data files were converted from records held in the internal university admissions database managed by Information and Communication Technology Services. The data files include information gathered from all student application forms submitted to UCT between January 2006 and the end of 2014 which also contain background information on applicants.
v1.1 This version excludes several variables that were disclosive and not considered necessary for research purposes.
- APPLICATIONS: National benchmark test (NBT) scores; secondary school grades; UCT faculty specific internal scores; language scores; application date; scholarship information; family education levels; financial aid eligibility and status; academic program preferences
- APPLICANTS: Demographic characteristics; secondary school performance; finely disaggregated geographic information, disability information
- SECONDARY EDUCATION: Key subject results (percentage or grade/letter results); year of graduation; school; exemption information;
Producers and sponsors
UCT Student Administration
University of Cape Town
University of Cape Town
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
The data are administrative records collected from application forms completed by those applying to study at the University of Cape Town
The data files were made available to DataFirst as a group of Excel spreadsheet documents from an SQL database managed by the University of Cape Town's Information and Communication Technology Services . The process of combining these original data files to create a research-ready dataset is summarised in a document entitled "Notes on preparing the UCT Student Application Data 2006-2014" accompanying the data.
Data available through our Secure Data Service
University of Cape Town Academic Administration. University of Cape Town Student Admissions Data 2006-2014 [dataset]. Version 1.1. Cape Town: University of Cape Town [producer], 2015. Cape Town: DataFirst [distributor], 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25828/966a-gt44